This is no longer a test post!

This is a test. :)

========Update 20170828=========

Wow! I can't believe that this is already the first day of the new semester and I have already finished teaching my first class session with a wonderful EME2040 group.

As I have just read all the first blogs from everyone, I really want to share some of my reflection with all of you.

About being tech-savvy
A lot of you described yourself are not tech-savvy and only know the very basics of the software and technologies. Tech-savvy usually sounds like a word that is describing the IT experts over computer science department. However, if we are talking about the education world and this intro to ed tech class, being tech-savvy really means that you have an open mind to embrace all the technology that has a potential to facilitate teachers' instruction and students' learning.
If you are familiar with the concept of digital natives (if not, listen to the podcast listed on Canvas or just google it), our generation (I say so because I am also young ðŸ˜‰) grows up with technology evolution and we are used to the change along with it. Today, my 2-year old cousin can navigate iPad to find his favorite cartoon movie with no problem. In the first blog posts, people mentioned about they can set up PS/ Xbox/ Wii with minimal assistance. (Side note: I love Legend of Zelda, have anyone played it recently?) I guess for us, as long as it is related, we can always find a solution and we are all good at it!
When I asked everyone to set up a blog in the class this morning. No one looks confused and lost. In this way, I will say everyone is tech-savvy enough to succeed in this class.

Teacher's view/ my expectation
As I have mentioned in the class, the purpose of this course is not only to teach you how to use some certain technologies/ software (but you will be tested on) but to build you with a mindset that how to make the best use of different available technologies. That is why I will keep encouraging everyone to think and do the assignments from the perspective of a teacher.

eme2040alcahill and jgilbeme2040  both mentioned about a very interesting problem is that should we use technology or just paper/ pencil will be fine? As jgilbeme2040  said, "teacher to student interaction + paper and pencil learning is just as effective in some instances". It is the instructor's responsibility to make the judgment that what/ how the technology should be used. If it is not aligned with the learning objective, the technology will only be a distraction or, I guess, something "fancy" that you write it into the useless report to fool both yourself and others. :p

Technology can (1) diverse the delivery methods, as most of you noticed, and (2) serve as content also. emestudentkph was talking about learning to reboot and rebuild the laptop in this class. But unfortunately, we will not cover the knowledge. However, this technology can actually be a perfect opportunity for the students learning electronics and mechanics. Similarly, building raspberry pi and robotics can also be some awesome experience for content knowledge.

So my expectation for all the (prospective) teachers is to understand the technology and make the best use of it. Don't panic about new technology and also don't abuse it.

More about blogging site
As I have mentioned, you are not limited to use blogger.com as the blogging site. Feel free to check out the WordPress and Wix. The latter one is super easy to use, manage and make it beautiful! If you happen to swap your blog to another URL, make sure you notify me and I will update the information.

My personal goal
I blogged for a couple of years when I was in high school and first two years of my undergrad. That was mainly personal stuff. I once tried to start a professional blog but failed to maintain it. I hope I can use this blogging opportunity to discuss some my reflections and ideas related instructional design and educational technology.

-- Lukas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class Blog List